speaking of money, this month i tracked grocery expenses to see how much of my non-existant income i have been spending. it looks something like this:
535 - fruits & vegetables
257 - grains & pulses
186 - dairy & eggs
60 - seafood
220 - cooking necessities (spices, flour, etc)
324 - alcohol
86 - candy
according to oanda, that is equal to $319.67 US, as of today. for two adults living in copenhagen, it may seem quite cheap but some things need to be taken into consideration.
- the dane picked up groceries himself a few times and he doesn't usually take the receipt.
- some of the dairy/eggs and candy (chocolate) were bought solely for completing a daring bakers challenge.
- living in a colletive, we share some pantry staples like olive oil and paprika.
- part of the alcohol is used to make my beloved rugbrød at home.
- not logged was that fact that we ate out 3 or 4 times and went to the movies twice.
so far my best result with rugbrod has had only 2 variations from the original recipe i used. instead of hvidøl i used tuborg rød, which is quite a bit stronger and makes for a tastier loaf. i made the mistake of using some more expensive beers with hardly any difference in flavour from the cheapest hvidøl. tuborg rød is only about 5kr anyway. i also added some organic pumpkin seeds that were on sale earlier in july. i still care for the same starter than one of the dane's friends passed on to me along with the recipe, and i hope it lasts a good while longer. (: